Skip to main content

Five Things I Learned From Five Years of Blogging

Analytics Overview from the last 5 years

I've been blogging over five years now. There have been ups and downs along the way but overall I've managed to maintain and even grow an audience for my blog "A Humorous Guide to Switzerland". Of course, there are things I now think I should have done differently or better not at all but hindsight is always 10/10 and there's nothing better to do with mistakes than learn from them!

Now, my blog is by no means famous or extremely well visited. From my Google Analytics statistics I gather that about 2500-3000 people have a look at one of my posts every month. For me, that's quite an accomplishment, especially since this is a personal undertaking and not a commercial business. However, the success of a blog is a relative thing, depending very much on the time you're investing and the goals you're setting.

I also learned that blogging is not an exact science. What works for one blogger might be totally useless for another. It's definitely good to read about blog marketing, search engine optimization and other blog related topics but keep in mind that not everything will be applicable to your blog! What I'm about to share are the lessons I learned for my blog and my style of blogging!

Five Things I learned from Five Years of Blogging

1. The Name Issue

Oh the name of a blog! There are so many blogs on the web that it's hard to create a new, unique name for your blog. Something that will sound interesting but not too cheesy. Five years ago I chose "A Humorous Guide to Switzerland" because I wanted to write about humorous encounters in Switzerland or funny descriptions of Swiss behavior.

However, I soon learned that I simply couldn't produce enough content if I stuck to these topics only. Today, my blog is much more about Swiss culture and Swiss language, especially Swiss German, so I'd probably choose a different name. Nevertheless, I stuck with the original name to avoid confusion with the readers who were already familiar with my blog!

2. The Platform Drama

Wordpress or Blogger? That seems to be the question of the blogging world. I chose Blogger not because I researched the topic and accepted its advantages over Wordpress (if there are any) but because it seemed simple and accessible at the time. I have used Wordpress for other blogging tasks and found it good to use as well. The one great benefit I see in Wordpress is the greater variety and more possibilities in blog design.

3. The Crux with Posting Frequency

I started blogging with so much enthusiasm that I posted over 20 times in the first three months. That's about two posts per week! After the first few months I realized I couldn't possible keep up with this posting rhythm. One, I didn't have enough time to write posts and, two, I didn't have enough interesting topics to write about. Today, I only post once or twice a month and without a scheduled frequency.

I've recently started another blog (Destino Amazonas) and decided to read up on posting frequency. Most expert bloggers agree that a consistent posting frequency is better than bulk posting. Think about how much content you can and want to provide and stick to your schedule even when you have some badass posts up your sleeve! It's easier on your readers because they'll know what to expect and this way you'll avoid periods without any posts!

4. The Challenge of Interesting Content

Several times I thought that this was it, this is the one post that will make this blog popular. It has an interesting topic, is well written and I know just the audience for it. Yet, nothing happened! In fact, some of my best articles are among my least read and some of my quickly-and-sloppily-thrown-together ones are most popular.

I asked myself: Do you write in order to gain (audience, clicks, money, etc.) or do you write because you like writing about a topic. Now, there are very few famous "purist" blogs on the web (that aren't monetized) but almost all popular blogs feature great content. In the long run I believe that writing good content will keep my blog going. Not only because eventually the readers will catch on, but also because it's simply more fun to write good articles!

5. The Social Media Trap

Blogging itself belongs to the large group of social media activities. However, a blog barely ever exists on its own without Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & Co accompanying it. Early on, I decided to use Twitter to promote my blog and am happy I did. However, I eventually decided to skip everything else. True, you can connect all accounts to one and manage them at once but somehow that didn't yield the results I imagined (I maintained a very inactive Facebook page for the blog for a while).






© 2016 IRENE WYRSCH "A HUMOROUS GUIDE TO SWITZERLAND" ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Schätzli, Schnüggel and Müüsli - Terms of Endearment in Swiss German

Kiss -  Oliver Haja  / pixelio.de If you've ever been invited to the home of a Swiss couple, you are probably familiar with the most popular Swiss German term of endearment "Schätzli" ('little treasure') or one of it's many varieties like e.g. "Schatz" or "Schätzeli" . Obviously, this is not the only pet name used by Swiss couples (or parents for that matter). Like many other languages, Swiss German offers a wide variety of words and phrases that you can use to address your loved one. Swiss German Terms of Endearment What most of these pet names have in common is the ending "-li" which basically turns the thing or person a word refers to into something small or cute. For example "Haus" means house and "Hüüs li " means small house. Plus, this ending "-li" can also be added to first names as a means of endearment, e.g. Benjamin li , Esther li or Fabienne li . I tried to come up with a colle

How to Say 'I Love You' in Swiss German

To be completely honest, I'm not very fond of hallmark holidays and Valentine's Day is probably the mothership of them all. In my home there will be no cheesy cards or flowers on that day and, personally, I'm happy about it. However, I know that there are many people who like to celebrate Valentine's Day and take it as an opportunity to show their love and appreciation to their loves. Even in Switzerland, there are plenty of people celebrating it nowadays. If you're short on ideas for this years Valentine's Day in Switzerland you might find some inspiration here: Valentine's Day in Switzerland . If you're already set and have the perfect date ready, how about surprising your loved one with a few romantic Swiss German phrases? You should know that the expression "I love you" has only recently made its way into Swiss German from the High German "Ich liebe dich". Swiss people used to simply say "I like you" or "I like

Panache, a Swiss Mixed Beer

Next to our daily coffee fix , we Swiss really enjoy our ' Feierabendbier '. This literally means 'quitting time beer' and refers to a beer drunk in the after-work hours. Maybe we're not quite like the Irish who are said to go straight to the pub after work but many of us still like to enjoy a good cold beer when we get home. Much like with coffee , where people usually like it either strong or not, there are Swiss people who don't like their beers to be strong. Especially so after a long day of work. This is when we usually opt for a typical Swiss mixed beer called ' Panache '. Panache Beer - KFM  / pixelio.de Mixed beers or beer drinks are a great alternative to 'real' beers. I'm not talking about pre-mixed beer that is sold in supermarkets. Those suck! Good mixed beer is made on the spot with beer and a soft drink, syrup, liquor or other interesting ingredients. The most famous of all Swiss mixed beers is the Panache, pronounce