Skip to main content

How to Cycle Around Lake Zurich

If you think about it, it is a bit strange that Switzerland is considered a nation of cyclists. Think about the topography of Switzerland: there aren't really any larger flat areas and what we Swiss call flat would be considered quite steep hills in other countries.

Despite the obvious difficulties this causes for cyclists, almost every Swiss owns a bicycle and many people use it quite frequently, e.g. to go to work or to do their shopping. Personally, I am somewhat in between the frequent users and the 'sometimes users'. If it's sunny I'll ride my bike to work but if it rains I prefer to sit in a dry bus in the morning. Wouldn't you as well?!

My bike 

A Bike Ride Around Lake Zurich

Today, I took my bicycle on a somewhat longer journey. Since it was warm and sunny outside I decided to use this chance and finally make a bicycle tour around Lake Zurich. Yes, I rode around all of the Untersee (the lower part of Lake Zurich between Rapperswil and Zurich) in about 4 hours. It was actually quite beautiful and totally worth the sore butt.

The Route

My tour started in Kilchberg and lead me first to Zurich, then to Meilen, Rapperswil, Pfäffikon, Thalwil and then back home. I covered over 55 km in 4 hours and I actually passed through three different cantons on the way: Zurich, St. Gallen and Schwyz.

After half the journey I stopped for a while in Rapperswil, a beautiful town on the right hand shore of Lake Zurich. Coffee shops, Ice cream and a medieval castle and old city make this the perfect place for a short break. I imagine one could even go swimming if the weather was warm enough.

Beautiful Rapperswil

Slow Up Zürichsee - Time to slow down!

On my way I also saw signs for an upcoming event: SLOW UP. Next weekend the Seestrasse between Meilen and Schmerikon will be closed for motorized traffic and opened up skaters and cyclists from 10 am to 5 pm. The towns along the route will hosts events and food stands and everyone is invited to join. Seems like a fun event, too bad I'll be busy next weekend!

Tips and Info for Your Ride Around the Lake

If you would like to cycle around Lake Zurich on your own you can start your tour pretty much anywhere you want and go around the lake clockwise (or counter clockwise). Simply follow the Seestrasse (lake road) along the lake and you'll find your way without any troubles. Just always keep the lake on your right side (or left side if you go counter clockwise). In most places you even have extra lanes for bicycles so this tour is fine even for people who are not used to cycle on the street. 

People who don't want to spend as much time in the saddle as I did (their buttocks will be thankful) can cycle from Zurich to Meilen and then take the ferry to Horgen on the other side of the lake. That will shorten the journey considerably. Another option of course would be to take a boat or train back from Rapperswil.

If you don't have a bicycle you should check out "Züri rollt" in Zurich. They actually rent bikes for FREE!





© 2012 IRENE WYRSCH "A HUMOROUS GUIDE TO SWITZERLAND" ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Comments

  1. Nice post, I feel like going to do cycling now! :) I don't have a bike yet, but this will definitly be one of my next investments ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You have something to add or would like to ask a question? I would love to hear from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Schätzli, Schnüggel and Müüsli - Terms of Endearment in Swiss German

Kiss -  Oliver Haja  / pixelio.de If you've ever been invited to the home of a Swiss couple, you are probably familiar with the most popular Swiss German term of endearment "Schätzli" ('little treasure') or one of it's many varieties like e.g. "Schatz" or "Schätzeli" . Obviously, this is not the only pet name used by Swiss couples (or parents for that matter). Like many other languages, Swiss German offers a wide variety of words and phrases that you can use to address your loved one. Swiss German Terms of Endearment What most of these pet names have in common is the ending "-li" which basically turns the thing or person a word refers to into something small or cute. For example "Haus" means house and "Hüüs li " means small house. Plus, this ending "-li" can also be added to first names as a means of endearment, e.g. Benjamin li , Esther li or Fabienne li . I tried to come up with a colle

How to Say 'I Love You' in Swiss German

To be completely honest, I'm not very fond of hallmark holidays and Valentine's Day is probably the mothership of them all. In my home there will be no cheesy cards or flowers on that day and, personally, I'm happy about it. However, I know that there are many people who like to celebrate Valentine's Day and take it as an opportunity to show their love and appreciation to their loves. Even in Switzerland, there are plenty of people celebrating it nowadays. If you're short on ideas for this years Valentine's Day in Switzerland you might find some inspiration here: Valentine's Day in Switzerland . If you're already set and have the perfect date ready, how about surprising your loved one with a few romantic Swiss German phrases? You should know that the expression "I love you" has only recently made its way into Swiss German from the High German "Ich liebe dich". Swiss people used to simply say "I like you" or "I like

Panache, a Swiss Mixed Beer

Next to our daily coffee fix , we Swiss really enjoy our ' Feierabendbier '. This literally means 'quitting time beer' and refers to a beer drunk in the after-work hours. Maybe we're not quite like the Irish who are said to go straight to the pub after work but many of us still like to enjoy a good cold beer when we get home. Much like with coffee , where people usually like it either strong or not, there are Swiss people who don't like their beers to be strong. Especially so after a long day of work. This is when we usually opt for a typical Swiss mixed beer called ' Panache '. Panache Beer - KFM  / pixelio.de Mixed beers or beer drinks are a great alternative to 'real' beers. I'm not talking about pre-mixed beer that is sold in supermarkets. Those suck! Good mixed beer is made on the spot with beer and a soft drink, syrup, liquor or other interesting ingredients. The most famous of all Swiss mixed beers is the Panache, pronounce