Skip to main content

10 Things You'll Miss About Switzerland

When you move to a foreign country you'll be confronted with many new things. New types of food, a new kind of mentality, most likely a new language, a new scenery and much more. However, you'll most likely not only be busy with getting used to new things but also a bit longing for (at least some of the) things you've left behind. The same is true if you're traveling for a longer period of time.

10 Things You'll Miss About Switzerland

I've been on the road and away from Switzerland for a few weeks only so I'm not yet homesick for some Swissness. However, I'm pretty sure from earlier experience that if I'll be it'll be for these ten Swiss things:
  1. Cheese: Nothing beats Swiss cheese. Seriously, it's tasty, locally made and you can make great Fondue or Raclette from it. My favorite: Gruyère.
  2. Punctuality: Yes, you're train will actually be arriving and departing on time in Switzerland. And so will busses, trams, boats, cable cars and most other means of transportation. 
  3. Bread: I think I can exclude Germany and Austria from this because they have excellent bread themselves. BUT go to any English speaking country and what they're selling as bread is pre-cut  and packaged toast bread. No real crust so you don't even have to chew it.
  4. Public transportation: It works like a Swiss clock. It's on time and reaches pretty much every little town and village in Switzerland. I guess it's the advantage of a smaller country - it's simply more feasible to have such a great network of public transportation.
  5. Lakes and rivers: A friend visiting from abroad once asked me if there was a Swiss city or town that wasn't built next to a river or lake. Although I'm pretty sure that such a place does exist, I love the fact that most places in Switzerland are within short distance of a lake or river. Excellent swimming in summer and just beautiful all year round!
  6. Chocolate: This one is obvious. Please note that Swiss chocolate is much more than Toblerone and Lindt (although both are excellent). Small chocolatiers have a greater selection of freshly made chocolates. Sweet!
  7. Personal safety: I don't think there is a place in Switzerland I wouldn't recommend someone to go because of safety concerns. Even at night and in the bigger cities it is totally fine to walk around on your own. 
  8. Location: Feel like going to Germany for some shopping? Or to France for a glass of wine? It is all very doable if you live in Switzerland where the neighboring countries are only a few minutes or hours drive away. You couldn't live more central in Europe!
  9. Cable Cars: Have you noticed that there is great number of cable cars going up Swiss mountains? So many places high up are reachable thanks to them and they make mountains accessible to everyone.
  10. Heated floors: This I miss especially if it's cold or rainy (or both). Most newer houses in Switzerland are equipped with floor heating (and not radiator heating or oven heating). This means you can walk barefoot in your house all year long even if you have wooden or stone floors. The best is the stepping out of a shower onto the warm bathroom floor. 
bread - Bernd Kasper  / pixelio.de



© 2013 IRENE WYRSCH "A HUMOROUS GUIDE TO SWITZERLAND" ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Comments

  1. I have a smile on my face while I'm reading this. I'm an American with Swiss roots in my ancestry (only Swiss as far as I can track) and I love the part about punctuality. I'm the most punctual person I know (I even irritate myself sometimes about it). I guess it comes naturally :-)
    I stumbled across your blog while looking for some Swiss recipes for a school project for my daughter. I added you to my list of blogs I follow!! I would love to visit Switzerland some day and see where I come from!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it made you smile and I do hope you'll get to visit Switzerland sometime. You're going to love the punctuality :) plus it is a beautiful place to be.

      Delete

Post a Comment

You have something to add or would like to ask a question? I would love to hear from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Schätzli, Schnüggel and Müüsli - Terms of Endearment in Swiss German

Kiss -  Oliver Haja  / pixelio.de If you've ever been invited to the home of a Swiss couple, you are probably familiar with the most popular Swiss German term of endearment "Schätzli" ('little treasure') or one of it's many varieties like e.g. "Schatz" or "Schätzeli" . Obviously, this is not the only pet name used by Swiss couples (or parents for that matter). Like many other languages, Swiss German offers a wide variety of words and phrases that you can use to address your loved one. Swiss German Terms of Endearment What most of these pet names have in common is the ending "-li" which basically turns the thing or person a word refers to into something small or cute. For example "Haus" means house and "Hüüs li " means small house. Plus, this ending "-li" can also be added to first names as a means of endearment, e.g. Benjamin li , Esther li or Fabienne li . I tried to come up with a colle

How to Say 'I Love You' in Swiss German

To be completely honest, I'm not very fond of hallmark holidays and Valentine's Day is probably the mothership of them all. In my home there will be no cheesy cards or flowers on that day and, personally, I'm happy about it. However, I know that there are many people who like to celebrate Valentine's Day and take it as an opportunity to show their love and appreciation to their loves. Even in Switzerland, there are plenty of people celebrating it nowadays. If you're short on ideas for this years Valentine's Day in Switzerland you might find some inspiration here: Valentine's Day in Switzerland . If you're already set and have the perfect date ready, how about surprising your loved one with a few romantic Swiss German phrases? You should know that the expression "I love you" has only recently made its way into Swiss German from the High German "Ich liebe dich". Swiss people used to simply say "I like you" or "I like

Panache, a Swiss Mixed Beer

Next to our daily coffee fix , we Swiss really enjoy our ' Feierabendbier '. This literally means 'quitting time beer' and refers to a beer drunk in the after-work hours. Maybe we're not quite like the Irish who are said to go straight to the pub after work but many of us still like to enjoy a good cold beer when we get home. Much like with coffee , where people usually like it either strong or not, there are Swiss people who don't like their beers to be strong. Especially so after a long day of work. This is when we usually opt for a typical Swiss mixed beer called ' Panache '. Panache Beer - KFM  / pixelio.de Mixed beers or beer drinks are a great alternative to 'real' beers. I'm not talking about pre-mixed beer that is sold in supermarkets. Those suck! Good mixed beer is made on the spot with beer and a soft drink, syrup, liquor or other interesting ingredients. The most famous of all Swiss mixed beers is the Panache, pronounce